>

Coronavirus: WHO claims worst phase of virus is yet to come

Amid the lockdown till May 3, that is expected to extend more, for coronavirus outbreak, the news is the worst phase is yet to come ahead. WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus claimed that the virus could get even worse from the current phase.

 

He and others, however, have previously pointed to the likely future spread of the illness through Africa, where health systems are far less developed.

 

“Trust us. The worst is yet ahead of us,” Tedros told reporters from WHO headquarters in Geneva.

 

“Let’s prevent this tragedy. It’s a virus that many people still don’t understand.”

 

The WHO warned a large proportion of the public remains susceptible to COVID-19.

 

Early results from sero-epidemiologic surveys from around the world – which monitor levels of immunity within a population – suggest that a relatively small percentage of the population may have been infected, the WHO said.