The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has written to the ICC seeking a Dispute Resolution Committee (DRC) verdict on the fate of the cancelled match that was to be played at Old Trafford
The proposed “standalone” Test between India and England should be treated as the series-deciding fifth match that was cancelled last week owing to a COVID-19 outbreak in the Indian camp, BCCI
President Sourav Ganguly told PTI on Monday and ruled out the possibility of it being treated as a one-off game.
The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has written to the ICC seeking a Dispute Resolution Committee (DRC) verdict on the fate of the cancelled match that was to be played at Old Trafford, Manchester. The ICC is yet to comment on the matter.
“We want the series to be completed as this will be our first series win (in England) since 2007,” Ganguly told PTI in an exclusive interview.
“The BCCI maintains that Test cricket is the ultimate format and we won’t compromise it for anything,” he made it clear.
India were leading 2-1 when the match was called off last week after the visiting players refused to step on to the field following positive COVID-19 cases among its support staff, including head coach Ravi Shastri.
A forfeiture will allow the ECB to get insurance reimbursement of 40 million pounds that, it claims, would help offset its losses because of the cancellation.