>

#MeToo is fabricated against Akbar

Share

Minister of State for External Affairs M.J. Akbar on Sunday threatened to take legal action against several women journalists who have accused him of sexual harassment at two newspapers where he had been editor. So seems his resignation is not going to happen.

In a detailed statement, Mr. Akbar, who returned India from Africa where he had been leading an Indian delegation on various events, said that “accusation without evidence has become a viral fever among some sections. Whatever be the case, now that I have returned, my lawyers will look into these wild and baseless allegations in order to decide our future course of legal action.”

Mr. Akbar attributed the allegations to motives other than the #Metoo movement’s aims of outing sexual predators. “Why has this storm risen a few months before the general election? Is there an agenda? You be the judge. These false, baseless and wild allegations have caused irreparable damage to my reputation and goodwill,” he said.

“Lies do not have legs, but they do contain poison, which can be whipped into a frenzy. This is deeply distressing. I will be taking appropriate legal action,” he added.

“If I didn’t do anything, where and what is the story? There is no story, but a sea of innuendo, speculation and abusive diatribe has been built around something that never happened. Some are total unsubstantiated hearsay, others confirm on the record that I didn’t do anything,” he added.

Share