In today’s world, though leadership and CSR are increasingly talked about separately, in reality they both go hand in hand. Most of the traits that are usually associated with a leader can be seen going with CSR too.
Companies who make the most progress towards sustainable practices have leaders who believe that the right thing to do is good for business. However, solving sustainability problems require working across functions. This can only happen if the senior team have collaborative leadership styles. Also there are challenges involved with influencing decision makers and getting sustainability strategy into the picture.
Realizing that there is a need of CSR leaders who with their collaborative leadership styles can work in a culture to drive sustainability and good governance, SPO India as one of its many initiatives chose to recognize and honour 5 charismatic CSR Leaders from the industry. These leaders, who have been awarded with the India CSR Person of the Year Award at the CSR Summit and Leadership Awards 2017 held in New Delhi last month, have made outstanding contributions to the society and proved themselves as strong leaders driven by commitment and passion in the field of Corporate Social Responsibility.
The Leaders were judged on the parameters of –
• Having made a positive impact on the CSR sector
• Served 15 years, or more of sustained service to the CSR
• Having earned recognition by other industry, training, education or employer groups
• Having demonstrated, over an extended period his/her contribution which has included either research, achievement, professional leadership and service to the CSR community
The CSR Leaders recognized are –
• Shrikant Sinha, CEO – NASSCOM Foundation
• Santanu Mishra, Co-Founder & Executive Trustee – Smile Foundation
• Mathew Cherian, CEO, HelpAge India
• Meenakshi Batra, Chief Executive – Charities Aid Foundation (CAF) India
• D R Sarin, CMD – ALIMCO